CEDAR FALLS, Iowa – The University of Northern Iowa recognized students during the Student Leadership Awards ceremony on Tuesday, April 10. Awards were presented to students, student organizations and advisors for outstanding student leadership throughout the 2017-18 academic year.
The list of awards and award winners include:
- UNI C.A.R.E. (Creating A Responsible Environment) Awards. These are awarded to UNI students, faculty, staff, organizations or programs that have demonstrated outstanding commitment to and a positive impact on a sustainable future. Recipients are Tyler Dursky and Gabriella Ruggiero.
- Boots to Books Scholarship. This scholarship serves the military and veteran students of UNI, providing recipients with financial assistance to support their educational endeavors. Recipients are Cole Passick and Jennifer Marrero.
- Dr. Sue Follon Scholarship for Women in Leadership. This scholarship recognizes students for their leadership contributions during their tenure at UNI and potential to model leadership for women. This year's recipient is Estefania Ravasio Corrales.
- Drake Martin Gold Star Awards. These are awarded to student leaders for outstanding contributions to on-campus living at UNI. This is the highest residential leadership award at UNI and has been presented annually since 1989. Recipients are Siraj Acharya, Meghan Busswitz, Brianna De Moss, Cormick Michael, Rachel Fielweber and Heather Culver.
- Student Organization Advisor of the Year. This award recognizes a student organization advisor who has excelled and exemplified outstanding service, dedication and leadership to the organization to distinguish itself. This year's recipient is Suzanne Dripps.
- Most Promising New Leader in a Student Organization. This award recognizes a member in a student organization who has demonstrated emerging leadership in the organization, a commitment to developing his or her leadership ability, and has exceeded the expectations of the membership of the organization. This year’s recipient is Caleb Gipple.
- Greek 360 Award. This award recognizes a member of the UNI Fraternity & Sorority Life community who is also an outstanding member of other student organizations on campus. This year’s recipients are Matthew Johnson and Rachel Kerger.
- Student Organization Program of Distinction. This award recognizes significant achievements by student organizations in the planning and presentation of programs. Recipients are the Out of Many, One – Middle Level Leadership Conference (presented by the Student Association of Middle Level Educators) and the Halloween House (presented by the Student Affiliates of the American Chemical Society).
- Most Promising New Student Organization. This award recognizes a new student organization that has demonstrated significant motivation, creativity, innovation and perseverance. This year’s recipient is Student Life Team.
- Student Organization of the Year. This award recognizes a student organization that has exemplified excellence among its peers in the dedication and development of its members, and its contributions to the campus community and beyond. This year's recipient is the National Student Speech Language Hearing Association.
- Diversity Matters Award. This award is presented in recognition of dedication and service to the university in advancement of its diversity-related goals. This year’s recipients are Melanie Majeed and Morgan Bear.
- Servant Leader Award. This award recognizes those who have worked for the common good while putting the needs of others first. Recipients are Akanksha Sahni, Julie Hendrickson, Jacob Appleman, Pyone Lei Lei Mon, Baylee Milam, Kaylee Clemens, Cole Passick, Sharline Berry and Tristan Bernhard.
- Outstanding Student Leader. This award recognizes students who have demonstrated dedication and leadership through their involvement in one or more campus activities. Recipients are Keely Branstad, Katelyn Melcher, Danielle Massey, Ricardo Garza, Maggie English, Avery Johnson and Brianna De Moss.
- Lux Service Award. This award is the most prestigious award given to graduating senior students each academic year to acknowledge the culmination of their overall involvement. Recipients consistently go above and beyond, leaving a lasting legacy upon graduation. Recipients are Hunter Flesch, Meghan Busswitz and Jamal White.